Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy using Linux. Ubuntu is a great distribution and has done more than any other single Linux distro in bringing Linux to the masses. However, I find it is failing to help me achieve the tasks I want to do on my computer.
Photos
There are some great photo management applications for Linux, but the main two just aren't cutting it for me. F-Spot, the default photo management application in Gutsy, crashes every time I try to import photos from my camera. I don't do any post processing of images other than a bit of red eye removal and colour adjustment so I won't need anything fancy. gThumb, the other default photo manager offers these, but no tagging facility which is something I use a lot on my computer. Whether or not iPhoto will give me what I want I am not sure, but I am going to see soon enough now.
Movies
I record quite a lot of movies on the digital camera of Alex for prosperity. I have successfully used Kino to edit these now, but its not an easy to use application and certainly not intuitive. Every time I update Ubuntu, I have to spend a considerable amount of time installing dependencies for Kino just to get it working. Also, Kino has now ceased development so I don't expect it to get any better. Again, I have no experience of iMovie but it certainly looks easy to use.
DVD
I have previously made a DVD of the videos of the kids as Christmas presents. These were received very well by everyone, especially the older generation who saw them as something akin to a magic disc. I made these on the trial version of Vista that was released as I simply could not get any single DVD creation application to work in Ubuntu. I am well aware that some people report success in this field, but I spent months trying to get a working solution but got nowhere. This is one area where Linux really falls shorts. There are a number of CLI and GUI offerings, but certainly nothing stable enough to be offered as a default on the Ubuntu desktop. iDVD will work I am certain!
Just Works
You may have noticed a theme here; the iLife suite is something which is really attracting me to OSX. When I was a carefree bachelor with lots of "tinkering time" I was happy to spend hours getting things to work. Now with two kids, I want things to "just work". There are other things which appeal as well; backups are now important to me as digital photos are mostly all we have, the same with the videos. Time Machine looks as elegant and simple as backup gets; I've tried rsync and its not really either of those. Integration with my iPod is a major selling point as well, none of the multitude of music management applications on Linux has really appealed to me its often a case for settling for the one that frustrates me the least. Of course I may be let down by the promise of OSX yet, I should know in about a week's time.
Saturday, 1 March 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
yesss. It just works!
Post a Comment